Makeup didn’t make its first appearance in my life until around the time I started puberty. I had no sisters, no aunts, and my mom always went au naturel. This isn’t to say I wasn’t aware of makeup (in American culture, that would be damn near impossible), it just didn’t hold any real appeal to me.
At the age of 13, I attended a Mary Kay party my friend was hosting. The spread was absolutely breathtaking, but I had no idea where to start. I must have looked pretty lost, because the Mary Kay rep took pity on me and gave me a free tube of lipstick. It was a dusty rose color and when I saw it on, I felt so….mature.
And so my makeup journey began.
Those first 10 years were a mess. I made every makeup mistake in the book. I wore the wrong foundation for my skin tone, ringed my eyes in black liner, coated my mascara until it clumped to high heaven, didn’t moisturize (ever) — the list goes on. In a pre-YouTube era, there simply wasn’t anyone to teach me how to do things right.
But slowly, as time went by, I began to pick a few things up. Before I knew it, I was a full fledged makeup junkie.
A few months ago, Trisha and I started tipping each other off when we discovered new products. Because Trisha is vegan, I had to be mindful that the products I suggested were as well. The more I started thinking about it, the more I realized there was no reason I shouldn’t go cruelty free. I love animals, and I don’t think they should be harmed just because I want the perfect shade of blush.
And so, here begins the newest phase of my makeup journey. I’m so glad to have you along!
Updated 7/1/2016 with new, cruelty free products.
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
- Real Techniques Core Collection Brushes
- Susenstone Makeup Brush Set (cheap but effective)
- Clean: LUSH “Let the Good Times Roll” facial cleanser
- Moisturize: LUSH “Skin Drink” moisturizer
- Prime: NYX Born to Glow Illuminating Primer
- Foundation: It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ in Fair
- Tony Moly Panda’s Dream Brightening Eye Base
- Highlight: NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator in Sunbeam
- Finish: It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed Anti-Aging Finishing Powder
- Brows: NYX Automatic Eyebrow Pencil in Medium Brown
- Prime: Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Vol 1 Matte Luxe Transforming Eyeshadow Palette
- Coastal Scents Revealed Palette
- NYX Collection Noir Liquid Black Liner
- NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker
- Lash: Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara
- ModelCo Blush Cheek Powder in Peach Bellini
- NYX Cream Blush in Hot Pink
- LUSH Popcorn Lip Scrub
- Skinfix Lip Repair Balm
- Prime: NYX Lip Primer in Nude
- NYX High Voltage Lipstick in multiple shades
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in multiple shades
- NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in multiple shades
- Dose of Colors Matte Liquid Lipstick in Berry Me 2 & Coral Crush
- The Lip Bar Signature Cocktails Lipstick in Purple Rain
- Too Faced Melted Matte Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Queen B
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Mother
- Finish: NYX Wonder Pencil in Light
- Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray
- NYX Dewy Finish Makeup Setting Spray